- 8 Idaho potatoes, cleaned and peeled
- 1 large yellow onion
- 3 teaspoons Ener-G Egg Replacer OR 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons water (omit if using eggs)
- 1/4 cup gluten-free multi-purpose flour OR 1/4 wheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Kosher salt, to desired taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to desired taste
- Canola, corn, or vegetable oil
- Coarsely grate, by hand or with a food processor, potatoes and place in a colander. Set aside for 15 minutes so they release liquid. Potatoes will turn red. This is okay.
- Grate onions. Place in a separate bowl and set aside.
- Rinse potatoes very well, for 2 minutes, pressing the reddish starch out of the potatoes so they return to their original white. Squeeze as much water out of potatoes as possible. Dry potatoes with paper towels to remove excess water, and transfer to a bowl.
- Emulsify the egg replacer and water in a small bowl using a small whisk until frothy. Set aside.
- Whisk flour and baking powder together. Set aside.
- Stir the onions into the potatoes. Add the egg replacer mixture (or eggs), flour, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly and gently until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Drop tablespoons of latkes, shaped like pancakes, into the hot oil. Fry until golden brown and crisp on both sides, about 2 minutes per side.
- Drain the latkes on paper towels. Add more oil to the skillet as needed.
Makes 6 servings
Serve with applesauce…you can find a tasy homemade applesauce recipe in The Divvies Bakery Cookbook — No Nuts, No Eggs, No Milk – JUST DELICIOUS!