On July 2nd people from countries all over the world gather to watch the skies in celebration of World UFO Day. You can celebrate in your own home by making this fun flying saucer from paper plates and craft jewels! This makes a fun decoration for a UFO Alien party or even just hanging from the ceiling of your child’s bedroom.
- 2 paper plates
- 1 Styrofoam coffee cup
- Silver acrylic paint
- Craft jewels
- Instant grab glue or hot glue gun
- String (optional for hanging)
How to Make It:
- Paint the backside of both paper plates and the Styrofoam cup silver.
- Turn paper plates over. Twist newspaper and glue it inside one of the plates. This will give the plates some cushion and filler, keeping them from collapsing.
- Glue the plates together, silver sides facing out.
- Cut the Styrofoam cup in half, keeping the top half, discarding the excess. Glue small craft jewels around the cup and glue the cup to the top of the saucer. Glue a large craft jewel to the top of the cup.
- Glue craft jewels around the outside of the saucer, leaving about an inch of space between each one.
Ganz Parent Club Tip: If you would like to hang this flying saucer from the ceiling, use a toothpick to poke a hole in the top of the cup before gluing it to the top of the saucer. Thread string through the hole, knot from the inside and glue it. Skip the step of adding the round craft jewel to the top. Also, if using a hot glue gun, we suggest that parents handle those steps.