Some of my favorite recipes to make with my kids are cookies. I find their attention is far less likely to wander when there is the promise of wielding a cookie cutter and sprinkles at the end. The holidays are the perfect time of year for baking up a bit of magic with your little ones. Pop in a holiday CD, slip on an apron and try out some of these simple but yummy recipes.
Favorite Family Sugar Cookies
What you need:
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- Red and/or green colored sugar
- Holiday themed cookie cutters
What you do:
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add butter, milk, vanilla and eggs, and mix at low speed until well blended.
- Refrigerate, covered, for two hours.
- Preheat oven to 350° and grease cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle flour on a clean, flat surface and roll out one half of dough to ¼” thick.
- With cookie cutters, cut out cookies and place them one inch apart on cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle lightly with colored sugar, and bake for 12 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely and repeat with remaining dough.
Cookie Icing Directions:
- 5 cups icing sugar
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 egg whites
- Food coloring (optional)
- Raisins and candies (optional)
- Icing bag and/or paintbrush
- Combine ingredients in a bowl and beat at low speed until just mixed, then turned blender to high and beat until stiff.
- If you like, divide icing into separate bowls and add food coloring.
- Decorate cookies using an icing bag or paintbrush, and add details with candies.
The Best Family Shortbread Recipe
Perfect Gingerbread Cookie Recipe