Ring in the New Year with a bang…or a clang…or a jingling rattle! This shiny noisemaker craft is an improvement on the standard paper plate shaker. Using an aluminum pie plate makes the rattling sound louder, and the addition of jingle bells means that this noisemaker makes sounds in two ways! It’s just what your kids need to let the neighborhood know that the New Year has arrived!
- An aluminum pie plate
- Popcorn kernels, dry beans, uncooked rice, beads, or coins
- A large wooden craft stick
- Jingle bells
- Stickers (metallic or sparkly ones are good choices!)
- Clear tape
- Fold your pie plate in half.
- Fill the pie plate with anything that rattles. You can use popcorn kernels, dry beans, uncooked rice, beads, coins, or a combination of these things for a really cool sound!
- Tape the edges of the pie plate together.
- Tape the craft stick to the middle of the pie plate edge. Tape it well.
- Cut your ribbon into 6 pieces and tie a knot at the end of each piece.
- Tape the pieces of ribbon around the edge of the pie plate, placing the tape below the knot in the ribbon so that the ribbon can’t be pulled off easily.
- Tie a jingly bell to the dangling end of each ribbon.
- Decorate your noisemaker with as many stickers as you want.
- Shake, rattle, and jingle your noise maker!
If you realize near midnight that you need a couple extra noisemakers in a hurry, just fill some empty water bottles with anything that rattles and you’re good to go!
Happy New Year!