“If you go out in the woods today, you’re sure of a big surprise!” July 10th is “the day the teddy bears have their picnic” in the United States and why not be a part of it? Invite your child’s friends (and their teddies) over for some good old fashioned summer time fun!
Prepare for the Picnic
Fill a classic wicker picnic basket with plastic plates and utensils and find a large blanket for everyone to sit on. What else can you and your child do to get ready for the party? Make matching sun visors for kids and teddies!
- Paper plates (large ones for kids and bigger teddies, small ones for tinier teddies)
- Crayons, markers, or pencil crayons
- Glitter glue
- Any other decorations you desire (feathers, rhinestones, etc.)
- Turn over the paper plate.
- Color the entire plate in as many different colors as you wish.
- Gently fold the plate in half and cut a slit in the middle circle of the plate (adult assistance suggested).
- Unfold the plate and cut a few more slits in the center of the plate so that the middle of the plate looks like pieces of pizza.
- Add stickers, glitter glue, and other decorations to jazz up the sun visor.
- Proudly wear your sun visor and dress your teddy in his matching one!
Pack Some Snacks
What does every bear love to eat? Honey! Bears are also quite fond of fruit – especially berries (or “bearies”). Fill your picnic basket with some of these treats that are sure to please both kids and bears.
How to Make It:
- Combine 2 cups of milk, 2 cups of sliced fresh strawberries, and 1 tablespoon of honey in your blender.
- Blend on high for one minute and pour into lidded cups with straws.
Peanut Butter, Honey, and Banana Sandwiches
How to Make It:
- Spread peanut butter on one slice of whole wheat bread and honey on the other slice.
- Add sliced bananas in the middle and enjoy a sweet and healthy treat that’s perfect for picnics!
Honey-Spice Bear Cookies
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- ½ cup honey
- 1 egg
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp all spice
- ½ tsp salt
How to Make It:
- Cream butter and brown sugar in a large bowl.
- Add honey and egg and beat well.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the honey mixture and mix on low speed until well blended.
- Refrigerate the dough for 1 hour (or up to 3 days).
- Roll out the dough to ¼ inch thickness and cut with teddy bear shaped cookie cutters.
- Place on greased cookie sheets and bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
Play Some Games
No teddy bear picnic would be complete without some teddy bear games! You can incorporate the teddies into any of your child’s favorite activities, but here are a couple suggestions:
Teddy Bear Hide and Seek
- Have all the children sit in a circle with their teddy bears behind their backs.
- Ask all the children to close their eyes and count to 20 while the teddy bears go and hide.
- While their eyes are closed, hide each child’s teddy bear in a different spot.
- When they have finished counting, the children can open their eyes and try to find their teddies.
- The first child to return to the circle with her teddy gets to help the teddies hide on the next round.
Teddy Bear Toss
- Divide the children into pairs and have them stand in two lines, facing their partners.
- When you say “go”, each pair will begin gently tossing a teddy bear back and forth.
- If a pair drops their teddy, they are out.
- The last pair of children standing are the winners!
Happy Teddy Bear’s Picnic Day!