When I was in Louisville, Kentucky recently I saw a set of Ninjabread cookie cutters and I am still kicking myself for not picking them up. I feel a Google search coming on!
What you need:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup light molasses
- 1 egg
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- Combine butter, brown sugar, molasses in a large bowl and beat at low speed until fluffy.
- Add remaining ingredients and continue to beat at low speed until well mixed.
- Form a ball and refrigerate covered for four hours.
Preheat oven to 350° and grease a large cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle flour on a clean, flat surface and roll out one half of dough to ¼” thick.
- With cookie cutters, cut out cookies and place them one inch apart on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely and repeat with remaining dough.
- 5 cups icing sugar
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 egg whites
- Food coloring (optional)
- Raisins and candies (optional)
- Icing bag and/or paintbrush
- Combine ingredients in a bowl and beat at low speed until just mixed, then turned blender to high and beat until stiff.
- If you like, divide icing into separate bowls and add food coloring.
- Decorate gingerbread cookies using an icing bag or paintbrush, and add details with raisins or candies.